Ladies we get so wrapped up into doing for everyone around us, work, spouse, kids, pets, etc, that sometimes we put ourselves on the back burner. We look up and have no time to do something just for ourselves. I came across a quote last week that has continued to stick with me…
“It is not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself and to make your happiness a priority. It is necessary.”
In so many ways this is true. If you are unhappy it spreads to all areas of your life, work, home etc. Taking time out for you is not self it is necessary! I was able to do that this past couple weeks. Traveling to Chicago to meet up with my sister and cousin to attend the Beyoncé concert! This past Friday, attending the R. Kelly concert with my bestie and another close friend.
These may seem like silly things, but to me they were just what I needed, enjoying time with my friends and not having to be “in charge” or the “parent” or the “chaperone” was a great feeling! I was able to read a book in the airport without being interrupted, sleep on the plane, shower without little hands knocking on the door (yes this does happen quite often). Being able to enjoy my friends even for the short amount of time is just that happiness I needed to make me a priority and so that I can be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, teacher and etc.
Now that the summer is here I plan on making “Me Time” count! Getting into a routine that I can carry out through the school year. Some of my Me Time Goals include….
- Reading a Book a Month: Baby steps folks, I know it shouldn’t take me a month to read a book, but the way my life is set up it will LOL)
- Early Morning Workouts: Getting up before the littles to get a workout in and enjoying my cup of coffee or tea before the crew is up and ready to go!
- Brunch/Lunch: Once a month with my girlfriends (I will miss it this week since I am traveling have a mimosa for me ladies!)
- Treat Myself: Once a month it could be a massage or a mani or pedi, or a shopping day at Nordstrom!
- Journal: I used to journal every evening and it was a great way to get rid of my worries and write down my prayers.
What do you do to make YOUR happiness a priority?